Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Our 10 week old puppy ate nylon socks about 20 minutes ago.

Customer Question

Customer: our 10 week old puppy ate nylon socks about 20 minutes ago. what should we do?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: the puppy ate small "peds" socks about twenty minutes ago. He is acting normally now but we are worried because he is still so little
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and thanks for requesting me

My name is***** I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon and I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

1. There is a danger of these sorts of objects causing an intestinal tract obstruction particularly in smaller dogs such as your one, this can be a very serious situation. One of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make your dog sick immediately and try recover the Peds that way. For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK

{ Also be aware that an ER vet will be able to quickly induce vomiting with prescription drugs }

2. Sometimes these sorts of situations may sort themselves out on their own but if you do not manage to induce vomiting then you should carefully monitor your pup for symptoms such as vomiting, lethargy, anorexia, abdominal pain or straining and if such occur contact your vet without delay.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Peds incident ...

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your recommendation. We tried to induce vomiting but were unsuccessful. We took him to an emergency vet and they were able to get him to vomit and retrieve the socks without further injury.

Thanks for the update, I was wondering how things were going ...

It was so good that you managed to retrieve the socks.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All better

Brilliant! What a handsome little dog ... :-)

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?