Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

I asked earlier about my fog breathing hard and vomiting

Customer Question

I asked earlier about my fog breathing hard and vomiting then about 30 minutes ago she lost a lot of dark green fluid the vet said that's normal but am still concerned what will happen now.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that Addy isn't feeling well - could you give me any more information on what's happening with her?

• How long has she been breathing hard?
  • What color are her gums?
  • How frequently and for how long has she been vomiting?
  • When you say she lost a lot of green fluid - from where? Did she vomit it? Did it come from somewhere else?
  • When did you talk to her vet?
  • How is she doing this morning?

Thanks and I'll await your reply

~Dr. Sara

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the response she went to vet after I messaged you. They gave her 2 shots of oxytocin. She delivered 5 puppies herself then nothing for an hour and a half so they did an emergency csection. She had a total of 14 puppies. We lost 1 I have puppies at home she had to stay at the hospital because they said she was weak and pale. Do you think she will be ok
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the quick reply! I didn't know she was pregnant and in labor based on your question - that extra info is really helpful!

Congratulations on the puppies! 14 really is quite a lot of puppies - you've got your work cut out for you, indeed - I'm sorry to hear that you lost one. In a litter this large, I'm sorry to say that it's pretty common to lose one or even a few.

Did the puppies get a chance to nurse? It's very important that they get to nurse from momma as soon as mom is able I frequently have them nursing immediately after I do a C-section to get that colostrum that will help build their immune system. It's not unusual for momma to be pale after a C-section - it's important that they keep a close eye on her red blood cell count to make sure that she's not having too much bleeding after a surgery like that. The majority of dogs do well after C-sections but the whole process of labor, birthing, surgery, and recovery definitely can have significant risks. If the vet felt that he needed to monitor Addy, then the hospital is definitely the best place for her.

I hope that everything continues to go well - let me know if I can help more

~Dr. Sara

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The puppies didn't get to nurse because she was still asleep when they sent us home. They said they gave her pain meds an anti inflammatory an antibiotic and a sedative so she would rest.
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

In that case, I hope that you get good news when you call to check on her this morning! Please let me know what other questions I can handle for you :)

~Dr. Sara

Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Addy. How is everything going?
Doc Sara