Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog ate a cup and a half of raw sugar cookie dough (none

Customer Question

my dog ate a cup and a half of raw sugar cookie dough (none dairy) she is 71 pounds. Should I worry if this will make her sick?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Since your lass is a larger dog and this is a non-rising dough, we'd not be panicked here. It is possible this could cause stomach upset and pancreatitis due to its richness. Still, as long as there is no dangerous items (ie xylitol, grapes, raisins, etc), we can take one of a few approaches here.

To start, if she just had this, you can choose to induce vomiting now to just get as much of the dough out of her system as possible. If you wished to do this, you could by giving her 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorhpine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach.

Otherwise, we can monitor her closely and plan to treat for any GI upset. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. Further to this, if you do see any signs of nausea or vomiting, then we can also treat with an antacid. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the two I tend to use are: Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food (to allow absorption) and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any pre-existing health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Overall, this portion of non-rising dough eaten by a large dog is a low risk situation. Therefore, we can induce vomiting to get this back now or choose to monitor for any signs of her feeling unwell and treating for any stomach upset we may see.

Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or via

http://www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
She had it Saturday afternoon and I didn't panic because it didn't have chocolate in it or anything that I thought would cause a blockage. The ingredients were sugar, flour, baking powder, salt, crisco and apple sauce. Saturday night she had one small amount of diarrhea and a slightly loose stool Sunday morning and last night and this mornings stools have been normal. Her appetite is good, this morning her stomach was gurgling until she ate, but I was a little worried today because she is not as active as she normally can be, should I switch her over to the bland diet and small meals for a couple days? if it caused pancreatitis will that clear up on its own? Thank you
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello again,

Her loose stool is not a surprise with this being such a rich foodstuff and with its Crisco content. So, an easy to digest diet would be highly advisable as it will help with GI upset as well as mild pancreatitis. Otherwise, as long as she isn't tender in her belly when you press on it (a sign of an inflamed pancreas), we can also treat with an OTC antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac) to see if we can settle this for her.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.
Hi Brenda,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
nekovet