Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 15 yr old cairn terrier has stopped eating and drinking.

Customer Question

My 15 yr old cairn terrier has stopped eating and drinking. Has been examined twice by our vet in last two weeks initially because she was vomiting. Was examined at the University of MO animal clinic as well for a growth on her inner thigh which was aspirated and found to be non-cancerous. No exact problems were identified but white cell count was over 2,000 and liver enzymes are elevated. Regular vet gave her a shot containing antibiotics and steroids on 3 separate days to make sure she wouldn't throw up. Then they started her on Enrofloxacin oral 68 mg once per day. Sge would only take it crushed up in peanut butter. She had been eating boiled chicken breast and rice for a few days, but stopped a couple of days ago. The dr wanted her to eat Hills ID Canine Hepatic Health canned food but Pixiejune will not touch it. We have tried to tempt her with other foods, but she will not eat!!! We have not seen her drink today. She is lethargic. She has urinated and defecated a bit. The eating & drinking problem has escalated during the last three days. We are so worried about her.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Based on Pixiejune's refusal to eat and drink, we'd be concerned that she still has nausea despite being treated for vomiting before. This is because while dogs refuse foods they don't like, they can go off all food/water when they have nausea lurking. Therefore, it'd be ideal to ring her vet about starting anti-nausea treatment. Since she has been so poorly, they can start her by injection and then send home an oral anti-nausea medication to keep her stomach soothed.

As well, they can also start her on an appetite stimulant to give her a "push" to eat for us. Finally, while hopefully not necessary, we may also have to start thinking about syringe feeding or a temporary feeding tube to get food into her and break this fast as we treat that underlying infection and liver insult.

Overall, I share your concern about her anorexia and we need to be proactive here. So, we'd want to speak to her vet about the above symptomatic care to get Pixiejune eating for us before she just wastes away.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Pixiejune. How is everything going?
nekovet