Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Is it safe 8 year old dog to be neutered with a level 3

Customer Question

Is it safe for my 8 year old dog to be neutered with a level 3 heart murmur?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

As long as the heart condition causing the murmur is causing no clinical disease or the signs it is causing are being stabilized by treatment then we can neuter dogs with heart murmurs of this grade. It would just be a case of the vet modifying their anesthetic drug protocols to avoid any strain on the heart. If there was any worry about the underlying heart issue causing Buckshot's murmur, then it would be advisable to consider having a heart scan first +/- having him neutered at a specialist facility where a veterinary anaesthesiologist would maintain his anaesthesia during the brief operation.

All the best and happy holidays,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

**Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)