Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

32 pound dog ae an old cigar
, just swallowed about 1/2

Customer Question

Customer: 32 pound dog ae an old cigar butt
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: just swallowed about 1/2 of a cigar butt htsat out outside about 4 months
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
female almost 8 years old
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you ...

1. If this was just a small part of a cigar the it is not likely to be a fatal incident in a dog of your one's size but some minor side effects could occur. One of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make your dog sick immediately and try recover the cigar but that way, if you can do this within the first hour after ingestion then things should be OK. For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK

2. However if you fail to induce vomiting any serious symptoms occur then you should have your dog checked over by a vet without delay. In your case expected side effects would include some degree of vomiting, diarrhoea, loss of appetite or salivation over the next 24 hour period, but in your case I would not expect things to be too serious.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the cigar but incident ...

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.