Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog has symptoms of anemia. She is about 11-12 yrs old &

Customer Question

Customer: My dog has symptoms of anemia. She is about 11-12 yrs old & is a dachshund /lab mix. She has been hyperventilating some, but not heavily. She used to go for walks but now gets winded after not going far at all. I've noticed that if she gets table scraps with garlic or onions that she gets really lethargic.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: She is a little overweight - actually maybe more than a little but she isn't obese. Weighs about 30 lbs - probably should weigh 25.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: I've been giving her treats that have garlic in them. I read that this can cause hemolytic anemia. The description fits what is going on with her.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I fed her beef liver and she perked up. I'm wondering if I giver her a food created vitamin by Megafood called BloodBuilder and I bought a beef (Argentinian) liver powder supplement to add to her food - would this would be a good thing to do? I am planning to take her to a vet Friday if she stabilizes tomorrow (she's better today than she was yesterday) but I'm wondering if I should just go ahead and take her asap.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've been feeding her chicken hearts, gizzards, or livers with brown rice and some green vegetable - usually green beans - also adding 1/4 can of a good grain free dog food. She had some bad problems with bloating and constipation with other dog foods, but since taking her off of grains and away from soy proteins she's been doing better. Maybe she's not getting enough minerals.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

What color are her gums?

Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count her breaths for 10 seconds + multiply by 6)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, since I did not hear anything fro anyone until this morning, I'm not going to need this service now. I've decided to take her to a vet this morning. I didn't realize the wait was going to be more than an hour and I could not stay up past 12 pm to wait for an answer because I need to be awake when I go to my work today.
Thank you. How much will I be billed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My dog is doing okay and breathing normally now - her energy is back. I gave her beef liver for her lunch yesterday, and liver powder for a snack. Now I just need to take her to a vet because she is limping and I can't figure out why and don't know what to do about it. I hope he can figure out what's going on with her.