Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog recently lost a lot of weight after being diagnosed

Customer Question

My dog recently lost a lot of weight after being diagnosed with anemia. Now she keeps acting as if she was never house trained, continually barks while we are away for no reason, and she bobs up and down while trying to get to sleep and almost falls over.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Now everything you have reported is not uncommon with anemia. If severe enough, it can cause mental confusion and weakness. Those in turn can lead to dogs behaving out of character, delaying getting up to toilet and thus having accidents, as well as causing wobbliness, falls, and head bobbing. Furthermore, if her body is having to expend resources to replenish lost red blood cells, this can impact the weight. Therefore, we'd want to have patience with the behaviour side of her signs. Furthermore, we'd want to make sure we have her on calorie rich foods (ie Hills A/D, Royal Canin Recovery, Dogsure, Clinicare, or even puppy food) to support the body and that she is on treatment to counter that anemia to help get her back on track.

All the best and happy holidays,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Dr.B for your response. I further had a question how my eight year old American bulldog got anemia and is it curable? I didn't clarify that she lost an excessive amount of weight of 20 pounds, always sleeps, and often intentionally uses bathroom in the house right after we let her outside. We feed her four cups of food per day, should we feed her more of the puppy food you mentioned?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome,

First, I would note that that does sound like a good volume of food to feed. Though I would suggest checking its nutrition profile and comparing it to those others I mentioned to make sure we are feeding as high levels as possible. Since otherwise we may need to switch to make sure we are getting as much in as we can.

Now in regards ***** ***** and prognosis, this does depend on the type of anemia she has. If she has anemia due to bone marrow dysfunction (which can be due to cancer), her prognosis is poor and we won't likely be able to cure it. If she has an internal bleed causing anemia, then stopping that would be curative. Finally, if she has immune mediated anemia, this can be more tricky. Often we cannot identify what has triggered the immune system to attack its own red blood cells. Still, these patients can be treated (with immune suppressive drugs, blood transfusions, etc) and many do recover. So, how treatable and what has likely set this off does depend on which anemia w have. So, we'd want to check with her vet to get an idea of which is lurking and therefore how we need to address it for her.

Take care,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
nekovet