Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My English setter has skin allergies on top of getting into

Customer Question

My English setter has skin allergies on top of getting into fleas which gave him severe bites all over. I got rid of the fleas immediately but used an generic anti-itch cream to help with the severity of the bite. I recently checked on him and his pupals are dilated, breathing a little elevated but not severe,feels like he is probably running a fever. Is this due to possibly licking cream? Should I wake my vet?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

I am not sure any over-the-counter anti itch cream would do this. Most contain hydrocortisone or topical diphenhydramine (Benadryl) which should not cause what you see. Hard to overdose on benadryl with the cream. However, that being said there are some dogs that even at the regular dose can experience a short-term hyperactivity from the drug. This is very possible what you are seeing with Whiskey. Generally, it is not an emergency, though unless he really is hyperactive.

I am concerned there may be something else going on with him. You can check his temperature but must be done via rectum (normal is 99-102.5F). If he is over 103F then he has a fever and he must be seen within the next 24 hours. If the breathing worsens and he is having serious trouble breathing then this is a medical emergency and cannot wait until tomorrow.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
Hi Mic,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Whiskey. How is everything going?
Dr. Joey
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

Hi. I and just checking in to see how Whiskey is doing and to find out if you have any further question.