Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing veterinarian with over 20 years experience in a mixed animal practice.
75966804

My 8 year old Maltese fell when trying to jump on the couch

Customer Question

My 8 year old Maltese fell when trying to jump on the couch and can't move his back legs. He is dragging them. He hasn't had any back trouble for over a year when he was diagnosed with mineral deposits on his spine. I tried to call the 24 hour vet and there isn't a vet on call. I gave him some meds from a previous injury. He seems to be relaxing some. Should I take him at least two hours awy to see a vet, or wait until the morning to see his vet? He is in a crate and I have Tramadol and methocarbodone for him.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Linda replied 11 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your question this evening.

I am so sorry for your concerns about your boy. Back injuries can be very tricky. If the spinal cord was bruised, or there is any bleeding around the cord, a reversible injury can become irreversible. I honestly would have him examined by a veterinarian, preferably at a surgical center or a veterinary college, as soon as possible. I know this means a long drive tonight, but waiting until the morning could leave your pup paralyzed.

This exact same thing happened to one of my clients several weeks ago. Elvis was treated at our state veterinary college with immediate surgery & three weeks later he is back walking on his own.

I hope this helps in your decision. It is always better to err on the side of caution.

All the best to a speedy recovery for your boy.

Thank you.

Hello again. I was hoping for an update on your Maltese. I hope everything is OK.

Thank you.