Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My chow has been on soloxine a years. Her dosage is now .3

Customer Question

My chow has been on soloxine for about a years. Her dosage is now .3 and she has lost more hair now than before she was but on this medicine. In August she was tested a hour 1/2 after morning dosage and my vet said she was where it should be but she was only tested cause her fur was dull and dry and brittle feeling. I want to take her off this to see if her hair will grow back how can I do this my bet said I can't
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Sadie. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

It would help me to know her weight, if she takes .3 once or twice a day, and what the actual number was on the test in August.

There are things you can try to get her hair to grow. You can try melatonin, 3 to 6 mg twice a day. You can also try flax seed oil with lignans (must have lignans) 1 to 2 teaspoons twice daily.

Let me know what other questions you have.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.

I hope you are able to see what I wrote. Let me know how she is doing and what other questions you have.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
She weighs 50lbs she was first tested cause she had no hair on her tail and she had no other symptoms for thyroid. She is now down to .3 on soloxine and when she was tested last in August they test her a Hour 1/2 after her morning doze she takes it 2 times a day but she has lost more hair since she been on this medicine. I want to know if I can stop giving her this for at least 3 months and have her retested
Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.

It would help for me to see the actual numbers. .3 mg for a 50 pound dog is a low dose, but I would check with your veterinarian before stopping the medication.

I might try the melatonin and/or the flax seed with lignans. If her hair starts to grown back, her hair loss may not be hypothryoidism. You don't have to stop the medication to try these supplements.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.

How is Sadie? Can I help with anything else?