Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic dogs, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

My maltipoo (11 yrs) has had a slipping patella. Picked up

Customer Question

My maltipoo (11 yrs) has had a slipping patella. Picked up by the vet, no problem till today . He is walking on 3 legs. It's Sunday, no vet. anything I can do for him?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

IF the knee cap is out of place and not moving back in the what you want to do is straighten the back leg and massage over the knee from the inside of the leg to the outside. You may even feel a "clunk" if the knee cap (patella) slides back into place. The other thing that can help both before and after is an ice pack on the inside of the knee to prevent any swelling making it easier for the knee cap to pop back out. If you can't get things back to normal the good news is a true slipping patella is usually not painful it just prevents the knee from operating properly (kind of like putting your leg in a cast, the case doesn't hurt but prevents you from walking correctly. If the massage and ice don't work then be patient and avoid giving any over the counter human meds (which are either useless or dangerous) and see the vet in the morning. I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions. Dr. Dan