Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My welsh corgi puppy (14 wks) just ate at least one, maybe

Customer Question

My welsh corgi puppy (14 wks) just ate at least one, maybe two - 300 mg gabapentin capsules. What can I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

With her size and age it would be best to induce vomiting if your dog ingested this within the last hour. You can induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1 tsp per ten pounds then walk around to mix it in the stomach and agitate the lining. If no vomiting within 10-15 minutes it can be repeated once only in hopes of inducing vomiting.

If you are able to give me her weight then I can calculate the level of concern but first priority is to induce vomiting...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She weighs 9.2 pounds. We just gave her 1 tsp of 3% hydrogen peroxide and she is being walked.
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Perfect, please give me a moment to calculate the dose

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

So 9.2 pounds (4.2 kg) and ingested possibly 600 mg of gabapentin that dose/ concentration is 143 mg/kg

With this dose if the pills/ capsules are not regurgitated with the peroxide a veterinary er is warranted to give stronger medications to induce vomiting and activated charcoal to coat the intestinal tract and reduce absorption. The typical dose for dogs is 4-10 mg/kg...

At this dose you may see vomiting, lethargy to the point of non responsiveness, ataxia (walking drunk), low blood pressure

Hopefully she will bring any medications up with the peroxide and we don't have to worry about this being the case but it is best to know what to monitor for and the next step if she doesn't vomit

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

According to the veterinary formula:

In humans, doses of up to 49 grams have been reported without fatality. Most likely effects include ataxia, lethargy/somnolence, diarrhea, etc.

There were 568 single agent exposures to gabapentin reported to the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) during 2009-2013. Of the 462 dogs, 90 were symptomatic with 24% ataxic, 22% lethargic, and 16% vomiting. Of the 103 exposed cats, 47 were symptomatic. The most common signs were lethargy/sedation (55%) and ataxia (49%).

Treatment is basically supportive with general decontamination procedures including emesis, activated charcoal, and cathartics.

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Luckily this medication has a wide margin of safety but there are concerns of side effects with the dose ingested. I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am checking in to see if you were able to induce vomiting? I would love an update when you are able

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She has received a second dose of Hydrogen Peroxide and we have walked her for several blocks. She has not vomited. Her energy level is way up and we are not seeing any lethargy. Her appetite and thirst are normal. (Always hungry) She has pooped and peed. Her gut sounds are load and active. Her eyes are bright.
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Well the sedative effects will not be immediate and may take 4-6 hours for full effect. The hope was to block the medication if necessary with the activated charcoal at the er but if you are unable to consider this please monitor for the symptoms I listed above and if she becomes overly ataxic (wobbly on her feed) or less responsive please consider the veterinary er at that time and immediately

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today, so sorry you are in this predicament but hopefully she didn't ingest the capsule and this is all for naught?

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Good evening, how is your Penny doing? I would love an update...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She seams to be doing fine. She is alert and active.
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Oh that's great news! It sounds like perhaps she didn't ingest any?

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am online another 30 minutes tonight if there is anything else I can do for you both. I am so happy and relieved for you both that she didn't have any clinical signs of ingesting the gabapentin!

If you found my information helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our conversation so I maybe compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Hi Teri,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Penny. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your help. She seems to be back to her bossy, active, talkative self! She did ingest some. She was drowsy for a while, but came out of it fairly quickly. I was very grateful for your assistance with this. THANK YOU!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Thank you so much for the update, very happy for you both that she recovered well :)

If my information was helpful to you I would very much appreciate your rating our chat on the top of the screen so I can be compensated for my time. Thanks again!!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

If you are having difficulty rating then you can simply type in "excellent or good" then I can send to customer service to rate for you. Thanks