Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

We have a 16 yo cocker who has tumors and open sores on s

Customer Question

we have a 16 yo cocker who has tumors and open sores on his body. today he started bleeding form the nose. We live in the country and no vets are working on Sunday. Is there a way to put him down with oral meds.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Max. I'm so sorry you're facing this awful solution, but am here to answer your question...

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.

So I may know we're properly connected and that you understand how the website works (including that I'll need to earn your good rating in order to receive any compensation for helping you), please type in a short response below. You may rest assured you'll have my full attention and will receive a complete response once I know you're there.
Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you for responding so quickly
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Glad you're there. Please let me start by telling you my heart goes completely out to you. Your assessment that things are not looking good for Max's long-term survival. These are very serious symptoms for a dog his age.

I also understand what a dire emergency a need for euthanasia can be. Often times it's something that needs to be done right away, because the animal is suffering.

That's why I understand why you're asking.

Unfortunately, the answer to your question is no. The honest truth is that there are no alternatives for oral medications that would provide Max with a safe and humane euthanasia without the assistance of a veterinarian.

I'm so sorry to have to deliver this bad news to you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not even sleeping pills or methadone
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Rest assured your situation is not unusual. Those of us who work in emergency veterinary medicine see a lot of animals come in for euthanasia on an emergency basis. We also get a lot of requests for ways to euthanize a pet at home.

Sadly, even an attempt at humane euthanasia using sleeping pills or methadone can go very, very badly. The results can include things like seizures or labored breathing and/or a feeling of suffocation.

The drug we use is pentobarbital, and it is specially processed to provide an easy ride down. The result is that the pet being euthanized is anesthetized first - like for surgery. While the pet is anesthetized, the overdose kicks in and stops the heart and breathing. That's what makes it so the pet is unaware of the heart and breathing stopping.

Unfortunately, there is no way to anesthetize a pet with materials you're likely to have at home.

I'm sorry.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Does this make sense the way I'm explaining it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Your explanation is good how ever it doesn't solve my problem and I cant bring myself to shoot him. thank you for your time
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

I understand. I know your problem doesn't have any easy solutions. Your question was very direct and understandable; the unfortunate truth of the situation is that the answer to your question was "No."

I wish I could tell you what you wanted to hear, but the stakes are too high for that type of dishonesty. It would be absolutely awful if you had to watch Max go through something awful as a result of giving an overdose of sleeping pills or methadone.

Your problem is very real, but - unfortunately - there simply is no way to humanely euthanize a pet without the assistance of a licensed veterinarian. Access to this type of medication is - quite understandably - very strictly controlled and cannot be made readily available to the public.

While I understand your frustration and despair with your situation, please remember the terms of the website. I answered your question completely and honestly. While the facts are understandably disappointing to you, they are still the facts.

Even though you are in a tough situation and there is no escaping the fact that Max needs the care of a veterinarian as quickly as possible, I hope you will still take a moment to rate my response favorably so I receive credit for helping you today. Your rating does NOT reflect your pleasure (or lack thereof ) with your situation, but is instead only a marker for the accuracy of the information I provided you today.

If you need help with locating your closest emergency veterinary services, I can also help with that.

Thank you, ***** *****'m so sorry for your awful situation.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Please remember I am here for you and am happy to discuss your question until you are satisfied with the answer I've provided. You may return to this page at any time to review this information and/or post more. You may do so even after you've rated my response. I'll be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help you.

If you are satisfied with the information I've provided, please take a moment to rate my response. I've done my best to provide you with the most accurate, thorough and up-to-date information that is available, and your positive feedback is important to me. Without it, I receive no compensation for helping you.

If you are not satisfied, please let me know how else I may be of assistance.

Thank you for using our website.