Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Our 1yr old 15 lb dashchund ate wife's 25 mg Zoloft pill,

Customer Question

Our 1yr old 15 lb dashchund ate wife's 25 mg Zoloft pill , what can we do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago did he eat this?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hi again,

Since I have not heard back from you and time is ticking, I do want to leave my thoughts for your return.

Now the good news is that this is a drug that we use in dogs. Therefore, this isn’t an outright poisoning. Furthermore, he has had what equates to a 3.6mg/kg dose which is within normal dosing limits. Therefore, we’re not likely to see any severe signs, but could see some GI upset (vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, appetite loss), lethargy, or agitation for the next 24-48 hours.

In regards ***** ***** you can do, we do have a few options. Since it is a dose in normal range for his size, you can choose to just monitor and treat any stomach upset. Otherwise, we can err on the side of caution by inducing vomiting and/or treating with activated charcoal.

Now if he had this in the past 2 hours and is showing no signs, we could induce vomiting. To do so at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorhpine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

As well or alternatively if you cannot get him to vomit or its been over 2 hours, you can also consider administering activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Finally, after the above, we do want to try to address any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled.

Further to this, we can also treat with an antacid. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the two I tend to use are: Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food (to allow absorption) and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any pre-existing health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Overall, since this is a dose that we'd se for his size, we'd not be panicked about severe signs here. Therefore, we can err on the side of caution with the above rr monitor and treat for any GI upset we may see in the next 48 hours.

All the best and happy holidays,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.
Hi Fred,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Fred Tucker. How is everything going?
nekovet