Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog has been diagnosed with tape worms, what are best

Customer Question

my dog has been diagnosed with tape worms, what are best foods to try to get her to eat, is only wanting to eat chicken.......she is a 9 yr old basset
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has Dottie been refusing food?

Any retching, gagging, vomiting, or lip licking?

Any diarrhea?

Did her vet diagnose any other issues? What tests did they do?

What injection did he give?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Dottie has been taking only chicken from a bone, right after she got her shoot lastweek she was eating just about anythinh then it confussed me when it all change. Doctor have her a shot of Deworm Droncit inj, a Rabies virus shot, he did a Fecal Flotationrecheck and Cestex Tapeworm..... and I haven't seen her try to eat anything else other than chicke, that's one of my concers.... I know the doc said sometime the tapes are hard to her rid of.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Thank you,

Now I have to say that tapeworms rarely cause clinical disease in adult dogs. When they do, its usually diarrhea and weight loss but not appetite loss. Therefore, I'd be concerned that there is more to her selective appetite here. In fact, I'd question whether Dottie has an underlying nausea that is putting her off normal dog food and leaving her only willing to have this chicken. Especially if there is any chance that she had an anti-nausea treatment alongside those injections.

In any case, in regards ***** ***** question about foods, I would note that we can try a few different things. To start, if we have stomach upset underlying, then it can help to use a light/easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too.

Otherwise, to combat her weight loss, we'd want to consider calorie rich diets. For this, we often use Royal Canin recovery diet, Hill's A/D, Clinicure, or Dogsure. The first two are pate style but can be watered down to a gruel for them to lap or you to syringe feed. The other 2 are liquid diets. As well, we can even cheat and use canned puppy food. All have more nutrition per bite and can get more into her even if she won't eat much.

Finally, since this does just raise concerns of possible low grade nausea putting her off her food, I would note that you could try Dottie on an antacid. Common pet safe OTC ones we can use include:

*Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)
*Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)

Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)
Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do check with her vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn’t mention.

Overall, it sounds like there is more afoot with Dottie then tapeworms. So, you are right to treat for them but we need to tread with care. Therefore, we can use the above diet approaches to feed her (even use those last few to syringe feed if she refuses). Otherwise, we'd want to see about settling her stomach. The above antacids would be a place to start with that but if she is stubborn, then do speak to her vet about prescription anti-nausea treatments and appetite stimulants to give her that push to eat properly for us and regain that lost weight.

All the best and happy holidays,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you so much for the added info, I will make adjustments to her foods and will look for those calorie right suppliments..........once again, Thank you so much and You have a merry Christmas and great New Year!!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

You are very welcome,

All the best for you both,

Dr. B