Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

3 year old female Shih Tzu went to vet yesterday because she

Customer Question

Customer: 3 year old female Shih Tzu went to vet yesterday because she would not eat, drink, pee or poo for over 24 hours. vet did ultrasound which revealed her uterus is fine. No blood or worms in solid stool, which took place when the vet checked her. He gave her a antibiotic shot, 14 days of antibiotic pills, and Rimadyl (1/day) for pain. 24 hours later her back legs are down and she drags them behind but doesn't get too far. She pants and holds her head back, seems like to breathe. The ER we would have to take her to is highly expensive. At this point I would be surprised if she makes it through the night. Any ideas what this sounds like to you?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Depends on what you want to know.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: OK
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. Your Shih Tzu's behavior indicates both encephalopathy (brain disorder) or myelopathy (spinal cord disorder). Hind leg paralysis, panting (a pain response but also seen with encephalitis), "holding her head back" (indicative of encephalitis) should put meningoencephalitis on the top of my differential diganosis list. I agree with you. She's critically ill and in need of ER care and her prognosis is grave without that type of care. Please give me an update on her.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
You were right on target. It was a spinal cord problem. We had to put her down. Thanks for your help.

My condolences for your loss. I appreciate your taking the time to let me know. You may receive an inappropriate follow up sent by the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.