Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

I 't know how many raisins my dog ate or when. He is about

Customer Question

I don't know how many raisins my dog ate or when . He is about 11 pounds
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 11 months ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that Rockyroad ate raisins.

What happened to have you believe that he ate the raisins?

Raisins and grapes have chemicals in the skins that can cause damage to the kidneys. This is why we do not recommend allowing dogs to eat any. They amount of damage is dose dependent (the more they eat the more they cause problems), so that is why it is important to guess how much they ate.

For tonight, I would start by making Rockyroad vomit. You can give him hydrogen peroxide 2 to 3 tablespoons by mouth and he should vomit in 5 to 10 minutes. If he ate raisins in the last hour or so, they should be in the vomit. I would also attempt to figure out how many he ate as this will determine if you need to take him to your local animal emergency room this evening or not.

If he ate a lot, I would strongly consider taking him to the vet tonight. They will hospitalize him and give him IV fluids to flush out the toxins from the grapes/raisins and protect his kidneys.

Does this help? What other questions do you have?

Dr. Amanda

Good morning,

How is your pup this morning? Were you able to make him vomit? Did you end up taking him to the vet last night?

Do you have any more questions for me?

Also, if you would please consider rating my answer, I would greatly appreciate it.

Best regards,

Dr. A

I'm just following up on our conversation about Rockyroad. How is everything going?
Amanda Mouradian-Dar