How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Scott Nimmo Your Own Question
Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 19146
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr Scott Nimmo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Bichon Frieze weighing 11kg, nine years old, has just eaten

Customer Question

Bichon Frieze weighing 11kg, nine years old, has just eaten five 50g dark chocolate "thins" 65% covered Turkish delight in last 15 mins (9.30 am). Is a vet visit recommended?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 11 months ago.

Hello Joy,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 11 months ago.

Hello again Joy,

I have worked out an answer for you ...

1. Don't give this a second thought, Baci should be just fine in terms of chocolate related toxicity. And there are no special measures you need take in this sort of situation.

2. You see the rule of thumb which I apply is that with dark semi-sweet chocolate mild signs of toxicity can occur when 0.3 ounces per pound of body weight is ingested. Severe signs occur when 1 ounce per pound of body weight is swallowed. If you estimate your dog's weight as being in the region of 24 lb { 11 kg } then you can see that your dog would have to swallow around 7.2 ozs { Nearly half a pound } of pure dark chocolate before any symptoms would even start to occur.

The total amount of this product ingested was 250 g = 8.81 ounces but in your case the chocolate was only a coating so the chances are the amount that Baci ingested was well below the toxic dose. The Turkish Delight itself is not toxic to dogs by the way.

3. It is perhaps possible that in some case you may see a mild transient bout of vomiting and/or diarrhoea purely because of the sudden ingestion of a rich unaccustomed food source for dogs { Many dogs have quite weak stomachs } but that's about it. But if this should happen it should usually pass on it's own and not be a problem.

4. You can read more about chocolate toxicity in the dog HERE

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 11 months ago.

Hello again Joy,

I am just checking back in to see how Baci is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning chocolate ingestion ...

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.