Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My grand dog, 24 pounds had a small block of rat poison in s

Customer Question

My grand dog, 24 pounds had a small block of rat poison in his mouth. There were teeth marks in the block but no parts missing. He had the block in his mouth long enough to walk up stairs and into the other room before I took it out. Should I be concerned.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

In this situation, since there is no sign of missing rat bait, we'd consider this a low risk situation. Still, we'd want to absolutely rinse his mouth thoroughly with cool water to remove any residue.

As well, since rat bait is such a dangerous toxin (as well as if there any chance he ate any others before he brought this one), it'd be ideal to treat him with activated charcoal to bind the poison. This is available OTC at most pharmacies (as for the gram or high strength version, as opposed to the low/milligram dosed ones for gas) and can be given mixed into food or mixed with water to syringe feed. In regards ***** ***** we'd give between 24-96 grams every 8 hours for the next 24 hours. Though since he has such a small exposure, we could use the lower dose.

Finally, since most of these rat baits cause blood clotting issues days after exposure (the others causing neurological signs and seizures), we need to keep a close eye on his gum color (it should be nice and pink not pale/white), his breathing stays normal, he doesn't become weak/lethargic, and that he remains well in himself. Any changes at all and we'd want him checked.

Overall, this sounds low risk (as long as he didn't eat any others before he was caught with this block) but we need to still tread with care with how dangerous these are. Therefore, the above would be ideal here just now. And if there is any chance he had any more, we'd also want to consider ringing his vet for a preventative course of Vitamin K to just make sure he has no risk of losing his ability to clot and thus at risk.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )