Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

I have a dog I am training as a service dog. He is a 5 y/o

Customer Question

I have a dog I am training as a service dog. He is a 5 y/o Cavalier King Charles Spaniel.
I have problems with balance and wear braces due to a life long neuromuscular disorder.
Soon after acquiring my dog I realized that he has the potential for helping me to walk up and down hills by serving as a counter balance. I work with a physical therapist on a regular basis and when I mentioned this to him he suggested using a "bridge handle" in conjunction with his vest. I use a Martindale collar. He is doing quite well in his training.
With his assistance I am able to walk, even on grassy and unlevel ground, doing things I have been unable to do for years.
My problem is that he becomes very and excited pulls excessively when he knows we will be riding in a vehicle and actually makes it more difficult for me to walk. This dog was historically left alone 14 hours a day until I acquired him about six months ago. I suspect that most of his contact with his previous owner was in a car as that is his favorite thing to do.
In order to serve me best, ***** ***** to walk at my pace, a step or two ahead of me so that he does not become entangled in my braces. My veterinarian says he needs to be going in a vehicle more often and he will learn not to do this. My concern is my safety while he is learning. At this time I am having my driver assist me in loading a vehicle.
Have you any other suggestions? He is doing very well as a in other situations.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

It appears that your special guy is doing well but needs a little help while training. I would recommend that you purchase a DAP Collar at the pet store. This is a canine pheromone that acts as a calming agent and will decrease his anxiety while in training. Take your guy back to obedience school with you are with another person so that he will obey you when you ask him to do things or to stop bad behavior. After much training , the DAP Collar and discipline when he does not obey you, he will get the idea and work well for your specific handicap. This takes time and patience which it seem you have.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****