Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

MY NAME IS ***** ***** AND THE ISLANDS, ST.. MY SISTER

Customer Question

Customer: MY NAME IS ***** ***** AND I AM FROM THE VIRGIN ISLANDS, ST.THOMAS. MY SISTER PITBULL IS TOTALLY PARALYZED AND NO DOCTOR ON ISLAND HAS A XRAY MACHINE. THE DOCTOR THAT SHE WENT TO SAID THAT THE DOCTOR MIGHT HAVE A STROKE AND THERE IS NOTHING THEY CAN DO TO HELP THE DOG AND SENT HER HOME WITH HER. I DO NOT KNOW WHAT TO DO TO HELP MY SISTER AND WE JUST LOST OUR MOM. MY SISTER HAS A HEART CONDITION AND I AFRAID THAT THIS IS GOING TO AFFECT HER HEALTH ALSO. ANYTHING I CAN DO TO HELP HER???
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: ALL I CAN SAY , THE DOG EATS, CAN NOT HOLD ITS BOWEL OR BLADDER. CAN NOT WALK AT ALL SHE WAS NOT LIKE THAT YESTERDAY MORNING. DOGI S ABOUT 6-7 YEAR OLD. SLIGHTLY OVER WEIGHT
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: OK WITH THE CHARGES JUST NEED TO HELP MY SISTER AND HER DOG.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 11 months ago.

I am very sorry to hear about your sister's pet. I will wait for your reply so I know we are connected.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I AM HERE. GOT SOME MORE INFORMATION.
DOCTOR HERE SAID IT WAS A STROKE. NO XRAYS WERE TAKEN.
DOG IS 7 YEAR OLD 70 POUNDS. FRONT LEGS ARE MOVING A LITTLE NOW. MEDCATION GIVEN WAS DEXAMETHAZONE 4 MILAGRAMS
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ARE YOU IN

Well, I have no clue how a "definitive" diagnosis can be made of a stroke with no x-rays. A stroke is not nearly as common as a dog getting a pinched nerve in the spine (a disc herniation). So, honestly, I do not know if the diagnosis is accurate. So, first recommendation, if there are any other vets available, is to get a second opinion.

still typing...

If it is a stroke event, I would believe the options for treatment are very limited and the prognosis would not be good. The only option would be to get in to a neurologist or other specialist to see if any possible medical management could be offered.

However, if it is a disc herniation, you could ask the vet for some steroids like prednisone. They already gave a steroid shot, so it shouldn't be a stretch for the vet to give you extra oral steroids. A steroid shot, by itself, is worthless. Steroids are very controversial and may be of no real benefit for a dog with a serious disc herniation. However, in the absence of doing nothing and if by any chance a disc herniation is the cause, a steroid may be worth a try. Wish I could do more, but hope that information helps.