Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My 5.5 lb Yorkie has diarrhea, little appetite & is

Customer Question

Customer: my 5.5 lb Yorkie has diarrhea, little appetite & is lethargic. How much Kaopectate & how often? What food & how often? She trembles often as well. How can I coax her to drink water? Thank you so very much.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Her nose is very wet and she licks her lips.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: How long?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 11 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Your sweet gal is having a digestive disturbance possibly due to stress or something odd she may have ingested. The smaller breeds have very sensitive digestive tracts. The treatment for this is as follows:

The first thing to do is as follows:

Fast your gal for 12-24 hrs to allow the digestive tract to calm down. Water is ok.
Give 1 teaspoon Pepto Bismol or Kaopectate every 8 hrs.
After the fast, feed a meal of rice and boiled chicken (2/1).

If this has resolved, wean your gal onto regular food. If this persists, have your vet examine your gal. Even the dehydration from this can be serious and then your vet will determine the cause so treatment can be initiated correctly. You can give your gal Pedialyte at 1 teaspoon every 4-6 hrs to keep her hydrated until this resolves.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****