Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a maltesse and her and up into the bottom of her tail

Customer Question

I have a maltesse and her butt and up into the bottom of her tail is all red and sore
Is there anything I can put on it to help
thank you
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Based on your description, it sounds like Gabby has given her self a peri-rectal moist dermatitis. In this situation, the most important first step is to block her access to this area. To do so, you may need to place an e-collar for the next few days and/or a small pair of boxer shorts (turned backwards so there is a hole for her tail). These will keep her from further self-trauma and give the skin a chance to heal.

Otherwise, we need to start gently salt water bathing (1tbsp salt to a pint warm water) this sore skin for her. This can be done 2-3 times daily (after passing feces is a good time to do so) and then gently pat dry. Afterwards, if the skin is raw or open, we will need to also apply an OTC antibiotic cream (ie Neosporin). As well, we can alternate with OTC hydrocortisone cream to soothe the irritation as we help it heal. And these are much better for her skin and safer (since diaper cream with zinc oxide can be toxic to dogs when ingested) to use.

Overall, Gabby is her worst enemy here. Therefore, we need to block her access to this region as use the above to treat. If she settles, we are happy. But if this skin is already severely affected or has any signs of pus, we'd then want to follow up with her vet once they are open for injectable/oral antibiotics +/- steroids to treat her skin from the inside out and get this settled and comfortable for her.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Gabby. How is everything going?
nekovet