Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience in general practice.
21779527

My dog may possibly have swallowed an odor neutralizing gel

Customer Question

My dog may possibly have swallowed an odor neutralizing gel bead. Should I be concerned about poisoning or obstruction? What signs of distress should I look out for if any?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for your question. My name its Dr. Stacy. I have been a small animal veterinarian for 13 years. I'd like to help with your question. Can you tell me a bit more. Can you tell me what kind or brand of bead it was if you know. Can you tell me approximately how big it was and how much your dog weights. That will all help me formulate an answer for you.

Okay. I did some research and there are a lot of these beads out there. The vast majority of them contain ingredients that cause mild intestinal upset only. The problem is that they are not required to list all the ingredients so it is hard to know for sure if there is something else in the one your dog ate. The human poison control number has a data base with the best information. Sometimes they will be very helpful if you call them. I think obstruction is unlikely because these beads are pretty flexible. I think stomach upset is possible. I would recommend trying to get him to drink small amounts of milk every 15 minutes for the next hours and then consider a bland diet ( I like chicken and rice) for the next 2 days.

Because of the concern of not knowing exactly what is in these beads it would also be recommended to monitor liver and kidney values at a veterinarian. This means getting blood work done tonight and repeating it in about 12 hours to look for any signs of toxicity. If you can take him to a veterinarian tonight I would do that. If not, what you are looking for is vomting primarily. If he starts vomiting or becomes very lethargic then Iwould really try to find a veterinarian tonight.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The brand of bead is "punati". The size was similar to that of a pea. Maybe slightly bigger. And my dog weighs 19 lbs
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you. Unfortunately I don't even know if he actually ate one or not. So I think perhaps I should monitor him before going to a vet? How long after eating something like this would it take before lethargy or vomiting would likely occur?

That is the brand that I have the MSDS (material safety data sheet) on. It is listed as having no hazards materials, but they don't have to list the exact materials. Knowing that the vast majority of these products are only irritating to the stomach I would feel comfortable monitoring for now.

If it is going to irritate the stomach you will see it in 1-4 hours. If it has any toxic effects it could take longer to develop symptoms... as long as 24 hours. I would monitor and if you see anything that isn't normal have him looked at. Best wishes.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok thank you

Best wishes.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Muscles. How is everything going?
Dr. Stacy