Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I was just reading about removing caulk from pet hair. My

Customer Question

Customer: i was just reading about removing caulk from pet hair. My Boxer got into an entire caulk cylinder and it's on his face and paws...i started using paint thinner to remove from his paws and immediately in bathtub to wash...but i feel that it's toxic and wasn't such a great idea.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: i'm looking for a non-toxic application to remove the caulk from his mouth/muzzle area and still remove from all his paws than Paint Thinner
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: no problem.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you. I filled out the necessary information. I am waiting for response within the 10 minutes. No problem. Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.

Yes, paint thinner (mineral spirits) is toxic. You'll need mineral oil which you need to rub thoroughly into the caulk so it becomes miscible and easy to wipe away. Heavy duty mineral oil is available in your local pharmacy. Baby oil is mineral oil + perfume and will suffice. This is really a messy procedure and best done where you don't want oil and caulk splattered all over. Avoid commercial caulk removers - many of which contain proprietary ingredients of uncertain toxicity.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you very much. He had it all over and had to get the most off as possible and washed..but his face is stuck with caulk but it has set like it is made to do..Thank you very much

Patience is the key. It's going to take some time for the mineral oil to soften the caulk. Other petroleum distillates work more quickly but are toxic to your Boxer. I can't set a follow-up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update - even after rating - at a time of your choosing.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?