Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I am really worried about my pup hes a bullypit, half

Customer Question

I am really worried about my pup hes a bullypit, half bulldog half pit bull mix. He is shedding alot of hair.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Are you seeing any balding spots? Any changes to the skin?

Is she itching, scratching, or licking her skin more than usual?

Any recent diet changes?

Have you only been using the coconut oil on the skin? How long have you done so?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I saw a couple of balding spots, but I put coconut oil and those went away. I do see some itching but itching has also gone away for the most part. I have changed his diet a couple of times but now we are sticking to his good diet or lamb and brown rice not allergen formula. Also I have given him coconut oil with his food as well as putting it on the skin. He just is shedding alot more then usual and I know that they get ready for their winter coat, but I just wasn't sure how much is normal.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Now shedding this time of year can be normal. It, of course depends on the local weather and whether you have the heaters on at home (since keeping the house toasty can trigger pets to drop their winter coats). That said, seeing bald areas and itching isn't normal. It is instead a sign that we have an underlying skin issue. If we are seeing only hair changes as opposed to skin based ones, then our main concerns with be demodex mites (something we can see in this breed and tends to make the coat look "moth eaten") or allergic dermatitis. That all said, given his positive treatment response, we'd be most suspicious of our allergy induced issues.

Now as you have rightly assessed, diets can very much be a trigger for allergic induced skin issues. That said, we need to be aware that if we have him on this diet, we need him on it for at least 6 weeks to determine if this was a dietary allergy and that we are over it. This is because it takes this long for those old potential allergens to get out of the skin cells and stop causing signs. So, it sounds like we are on the right track but we will need to give the new diet time to get into his system and the old diet time to get out.

Otherwise, I am glad to see that you are using the coconut oil as a food supplement and not just a skin treatment. It is fine to use for the skin directly of course, but when we have diffuse skin issues we tend to see better results when we offer essential fatty acids in the diet. So, we could keep up on that.

Further to all of this, while it doesn't sound strictly necessary at this stage, I do want to note that if we have any residual itching, it may be worth having him on an OTC antacid as we give the diet time to reach peak effect. In these cases, we most commonly use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl). A low dose (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first.

Overall, your lad's signs do sound suspicious of an allergic dermatitis. And with his positive response so far, his previous diet was likely the culprit. Therefore, you are on the right track here but if he is still itching a bit we can trial him on antihistamines until the diet has had the full 6 weeks to reach peek affect.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
nekovet