brisadog
brisadog,
Experience:  dasdasd
25524280

I have a 10 year old Retriever and just just been prescribe

Customer: Hello I have a 10 year old Retriever and just just been prescribe 20 rimadyl and 2o painkillers for him at a cost of $153. We just cannot afford this as we are both pensioners. We get our medication for arthritis etc free and I am looking for an equivalent tablet that we can give him
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: He starting drinking copeus amounts of water and a huge apetite a few weeks ago. We went to our vet who did a blood test followed by 2 further blood test an hour apart. It is all technical to me but I thin she said he has cushins disease. He has stopped drinking very much now, prior to the medication which we only got yesterday
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
When will I get a response please.
Expert:  brisadog replied 11 months ago.

Hi, I can help you with your question today. I just signed on, I'm sorry no one has been able to help you yet.

I definitely have some ideas about pain control for your boy, but first I have a couple things to clarify with you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hello
Have you read my question
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok

You mentioned that he was diagnosed with Cushing's disease (hyperadrenocorticism), and that he has stopped drinking so much. Is he being treated for the Cushings? With trilostane (Vetoryl) or mitotane (Lysodren)?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Just looking for you
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
rimadyl and vetoryl are the ones prescribed

OK, the Vetoryl is to treat the Cushings. Unfortunately, there is no source for this that is really inexpensive. You can look for better prices online and ask your vet to give you a prescription, but these are not available through human pharmacies.

With regard to pain medication, we can get something cheaper than the Rimadyl. In fact, I worry about using an NSAID like Rimadyl in a dog that has Cushings. NSAIDs and steroids together increase the risk for serious GI side effects in dogs, and Cushings diseases causes him to make more of his natural steroid (cortisol).

I like to use either tramadol or gabapentin (or a combination of both) in painful dogs that should not have NSAIDs.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I personally take naproxen as part of my medication for fibro myalgia, can I use that as a substitute or gabapentin. Can I use something like asprin for the pain. I also have tramadol

Your vet may have tramadol and gabapentin in stock, or they can write you a prescription to fill at a human pharmacy.

Do not use OTC pain medications for him. Naproxen is toxic, and aspirin is an NSAID. Aspirin is actually one of the riskier medications to use for pain in dogs in terms of those GI side effects. We can see problems ranging from inappetance and vomiting to ulcers or even perforation.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Whar would be the dosage for my dog please. 46.4kg

I would stick to the gabapentin and tramadol.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
What would the dosage be

For a 46.4kg patient, I would start with 100mg tramadol every 12 hours, or 500mg gabapentin every 12 hours.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Is that one or the other or do I mix them

I would just start with one and if not controlling his pain I would do both. These should be safe together.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you. One last question. If I start with tramadol, does that cover the cushings disease as well, and lastly will I get this confirmed in an email so that I can remember.
Thank you very much.

No, the pain medications will do nothing to treat his Cushings. Unfortunately, we don't have a good alternative to the Vetoryl for this purpose. I can alert customer service when we are done to make sure you have a copy sent to you. Did you enter your email at the beginning so we have the proper contact information?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have. It is***@******.***
I fully understand now, many thanks for your time.

You're very welcome. I'll flag your question for customer support now.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Bye.

Bye :)

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Susan