Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Ruptured or torn medial ligament is there any alternative to

Customer Question

for a ruptured or torn medial ligament is there any alternative to tplo
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I can help you with your question today.

Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

There are a couple of alternatives that we can consider to TPLO. How much does Chopper weigh?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
57 kilos
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

OK, for such a large dog, TPLO is often the best recommendation. There is another surgical repair technique called the TTA (tibial tuberosity advancement) which is appropriate in some cases. These are going to be approximately the same cost, and both require cutting bone and the placement of hardware.

Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

In small dogs, some owners will opt for a surgery called a lateral suture, or some may opt out of surgery altogether. This is more reasonable in small dogs who can get around more effectively on 3 legs.

Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

For a big guy like Chopper, he should experience faster return to function and less arthritis in the long term with the TPLO.

Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have further questions. I am happy to continue until I provide the service that you seek. Here is my website if you need to reach me again: http://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-drsusanfriend/