Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 3 yr old toy poodle mix had yellow diarrhea last week.

Customer Question

My 3 yr old toy poodle mix had yellow diarrhea last week. Put her on chicken & rice and everything good. Had fecal checked and was negative. But, yesterday and today same yellow diarrhea back. Starting chicken and rice again. Any other suggestions? Thanks very much!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Was the stool sample just checked in the practice (usually just for parasites/worms)? Or was it sent to a lab for a full analysis and culture?

When she was returned to her normal diet, was this done gradually or quickly?

Was the normal diet new or had a "new recipe"?

How is she otherwise?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Stool sent to lab. Went back on regular diet after just one and a half days of good bowel movements. (Which I'm now thinking too fast.) No recipe change. Didn't eat very much rice last night. Maybe 2 tablespoons. Early AM now so will see if she'll eat with a little chicken when she wakes up. As of last night still yellow and soft BM. ūüėü
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

First, I am glad to hear that you did have a full sample tested to ensure we are not facing an infectious issue. As well, as Lucy is young and did respond to the light diet, we'd hope not to have any brewing inflammatory bowel issues.

Now it does sound like we returned to the old diet a bit too quick, so its good that you have gone back that as well. We'd usually want to feed the diet for a good week and then slowly wean back over a few days. Further to that though, I would suggest starting Lucy on a dog specific probiotic (ie Fortiflora) to aid digestion and restore the natural population of gut bacteria that should be helping her digest her food and produce normal stool.These are OTC at most vets, pet stores, and online (ie Amazon). As well, since we have soft stool, you may even want to use a probiotic/kaolin combination paste (ie Canikur, Propectalin, Fast Balance, Protexin Prokolin, etc). The probiotics will help restore normal gut microflora to encourage proper digestion and the kaolin helps bulk up stool to give it form.

Overall, it sounds like you are on the right track but we just need to take a step back here for Lucy. So, do continue the light diet in small meals and consider the above amendments to see if we can just get her gut stable and back to passing normal stool for us.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you !!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome,

Take care,

Dr. B