Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

My shibu inu was having leg problems which the vet said was

Customer Question

My shibu inu was having leg problems which the vet said was a patella that went in and out and she needed to learn how to shake it back in. That was 3 or 4 days ago. She isn't doing well but now all my other pets 1 dog and 2 cats are vomiting in the house as well as my Shiba inu. They were fine before she came back from the vet. Now I am cleaning up diarrhea, vomit etc.. off the floor. My pets are indoor pets except when they go in the backyard. What is happening
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 11 months ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with cats and dogs. I'm sorry to hear that all of your critters have been ill lately. When I hear of multiple pets in a home who are all ill with the same symptoms at the same time, my first suspicion would be that they've encountered an infectious disease. In this case, I'd liken it to the stomach flu in people. Your dog was in a hospital where other potentially sick pets were, so it's easy to suggest that she picked something up there and has shared it with your other pets.

The other potential would be that they all have eaten something that didn't agree with them. This could be just about anything in your house - it can be very difficult to really know for sure what they might have gotten into. If they are acting well otherwise and continuing to eat and drink, this may pass on its own. If they are lethargic, not eating or drinking for greater than 12 hours, there's blood in the vomit or the stool, or any of them have any sort of breathing troubles or distended bellies, I'd seek emergency care. Try to separate them and keep a close eye on what pet individually is eating, drinking, and producing in terms of urine, feces, and vomit. This will help you determine who needs veterinary attention, if any of them do.

Please let me know what other questions I can answer for you.

~DR. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)