Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My almost 5 week puppy has suddenly became ill. It happened

Customer Question

My almost 5 week puppy has suddenly became ill. It happened so quickly yesterday he was playing and eating but within a few hours his butt hole is red and swollen when I touch his lower half (hind legs) area, around his tummy he starts to scream in pain.
What is wrong with him?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'm sorry to hear about your little one Vader. I am very, very concerned about him.

Is he straining to pass stools?

Is he eating today?

With such intense abdominal pain I would be concerned about an intestinal obstruction, an intestinal intussusception (one part of the intestine telescoping into the next) or a volvulus (twisting of the intestines and interfering with blood flow to the intestine) or a severe bacterial or viral infection.

If Vader is not eating and drinking and is as painful as you describe then he should be seen by a veterinarian on an emergency basis.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Today when he pass his stool, it was normal looking. He did it with ease. He isn't eating, but he is drinking water.

Did he pass stool earlier today when he was feeling himself or after this began?

I am glad that he is drinking, but not eating in a small breed puppy this age is dangerous, they can quickly become hypoglycemic.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
He pass the stool during when started to change by change he wasn't playing with his other five plus brothers N sisters.
He seem lifeless. Just extreme tiredness.

I understand. So its possible that the stool passed and then whatever is behind it (obstruction, intussusception, etc) is what is causing him discomfort now. I really think an emergency visit is best now.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your help.

You are very welcome. Please let me know how things go for your little one.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Well today he's acting like him old self. He's wanting to eat and drink on his own and he is crying go go back with his family. His butt hole isn't as red anymore and when I touch his sides he isn't screaming. I am so confused what happened to this little Vader.

I am very glad to hear that your little one is feeling better.

It is possible that he had an intussusception and it resolved. That can happen in young puppies when they occur secondary to a viral infection or a heavy parasite burden, both of which can cause spastic intestinal motions. Sometimes they recur, and don't resolve on their own, so you will need to watch him closely.

If these pups have not been wormed I highly recommend dosing them with pyrantel now, and repeating every 2 weeks for 4 treatments, then monthly.