Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

2 weeks ago, my dog was straining to use the bathroom time,

Customer Question

Customer: 2 weeks ago, my dog was straining to use the bathroom for a long time, to the point that his rectum was super swollen and bleeding slightly. i brought him to the vet and they said he was impacted and had gastroenteritus. he was never vomitting or had diarrhea. they completely cleaned him out, gave him an enema, and put him on metonidazole for 2weeks. he seems to feel normal, and is eating and drinking fine, but his rectum is bleeding. it isnt gushing blood, and the blood isnt dark as if it were coming from inside of him. So in less than 24 hours, i got him a cone so he cant mess with it, have been with-holding food to maybe give him a break, been putting antibacterial/antimicrobial cream on his butt, and giving him dog asprin to reduce any inflammation. It was just yesterday that i started all that, thinking maybe it is just fisures from the inflammation and irritation of using the bathroom, but after the last vet visit, i dont have much money to spend to take him back. I need to know if i should continue with what i came up with last night, or if this is worrisome and i need to do everything to get him back to the vet
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: he is an almost 4 year old standard poodle.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.

I can't quibble with your approach other than recommending that you stop administering aspirin which might irritate your dog's GI tract which had already been quite irritated. I'm concerned that you're seeing bleeding again. Can you see the source of that bleeding? If not, bright red blood arises from the most distal part of the intestinal tract and can represent colitis (the most common cause of hematochezia (blood in the stool), a polyp or more serious growth in his distal colon/rectum, or hemorrhagic anal sac glands. I'd prefer that his vet express your dog's anal sac glands to see if they're the source of the bleeding. If not, and the bleeding doesn't abate in spite of your ministrations, such a patient should be scoped to better understand what's going on in his large bowel. There's a reason why he became so impacted and I haven't heard why this occurred other than the non-specific gastroenteritis. I understand your financial constraints, however.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
To me it looks as if it is coming directly from his hole. when I took him to the vet, i already had a grooming appt made for him and the vet told me to keep it. i had the groomer express his glands and they said it was normal with no blood. His stool isn't bloody. It strictly looks as if the blood is coming from the sphincter itself. I put the cone on him because he kept wanting to clean it every time new blood would appear. As for the gastroenteritis, they did both fecal and blood tests to determine that, and said they thought he maybe got into the trash or people food and it upset his stomach. I obviously want what is best for him, but he is still acting like a happy, active dog. I've been watching him like a hawk, but i can't think of anything else to tell you.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I've also been giving him probiotics since he was on antibiotics for so long, but i can stop that if that can cause an issue

Thank you for the additional information. I don't see a problem with administering probiotics. I'm pleased to hear that his anal glands were normal but I still need to consider that they may have become infected during his last bout of "gastroenteritis". He's acting well and is unlikely to be seriously ill and so simply "watchful waiting" for up to a week is reasonable. If bleeding persisted past that watchful waiting period it would be prudent to have him re-examined in the manner in which I mentioned.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I will be home in a little over an hour and will see what it is looking like, if anything has changed or concerns me, i'll come back and ask questions, but if not, i'll just come back and credit you. thank you for your help, i thought i was taking the right approach, but he is my baby and i think i got in my head a little bit with the worrying

No worries. I'll watch for your next post.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I ended up bringing him to the vet when I got home because it seemed to be bleeding more and swollen. They agreed that it was his anus bleeding and that is gastroenteritis was gone. Felt around and said either it is just too swollen from struggling or try felt possible tumors. Put him on prednisone and enrofloxacin for 14 days and will follow up with him in 10. Just in case you wanted to know. Thanks for your help

Thank you for the update. I can't set a follow-up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update - even after rating - at a time of your choosing.