Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 10 lb. dog just ate 3/4 of a stick of butter. Will she

Customer Question

my 10 lb. dog just ate 3/4 of a stick of butter. Will she be ok?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today. Now most dogs will be just fine. Butter is not toxic but it can cause stomach upset and diarrhea in dogs. That said, if Sadie is a sensitive stomached dog, there is a risk that the fat content in the butter could cause pancreatitis. This is uncommon but a risk we'd have to consider here.In this case, if she isn't sensitive stomached, we can just plan to monitor her and offer a light diet for the next 48 hours. Light diet options we can use are small meals of rice with boiled chicken, white fish, scrambled egg or cottage cheese. Usually that can offset both upset and diarrhea to keep her settled.Otherwise if she is a sensitive dog and just had this within the last 30 minutes to an hour, we can choose to induce vomiting to bring as much back up as possible. If you wish to do this, you can by giving her 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorphine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any issues for her.Overall most dogs will be just fine but perhaps have a bit of stomach upset and diarrhea after eating butter.So, you can just keep an eye and plan to use the light diet for a few days. Of course, if she is a sensitive lass, then we'd want to use the alternative approach to get that butter out of her stomach before she digests it. All the best, ***** -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )