Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Dog will not lay down. Having to force feed

Customer Question

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has Asha been off food?

Has her vet or yourself noticed her being tender, tense or sore when pressure is put on her belly (since she isn't laying down)?

Has she improved at all on the current treatment? Did her vet give anything else via injection?

Has she had any gagging, retching, vomiting, or lip licking at any point?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your help. Asha was force fed this morning small amounts of lams canine low residue food. She has had no appetite since last Friday? They injected fluids on Monday at the vet vit b-12 (cyanocobalamin) and cerenia. when she was at the vet she was tender in a "general" area near her hind quarters in that fleshy part. and yes retching after eating and some vomiting over the past few days. mostly vile and at some points spots of blood
9
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

First, while I know it will be frustrating that the bloods and xrays were all clear, I do have to say that I am glad that we don't have to be worried about organ issues, metabolic disease, or obvious masses or foreign bodies causing blockages being an issue for Asha. That said, based on what signs she is showing, I suspect her anorexia is due to an underlying nausea (especially with the vomiting/retching she has had since) that the Cerenia (which only lasts 24 hours) and Pepcid are just not settling.

As well, the not laying down does concern me. It just makes me suspicious that she is sore and trying to keep pressure off her abdomen. This can be something we see with pancreatitis (which can cause her other signs too) or when we have severe gut disease. So, we need to tread with care with that sign and consider even speaking to her vet about covering bases with a gut safe pain relief for her.

Otherwise, while you may want to consider having her ultrasounded (since that is a better diagnostic too for checking for diffuse masses in the organs, pancreatic disease, and possible issues within the gut), I would note that it is worth ringing her vet about stronger anti-nausea medications just now. If you felt she was a bit better after the Cerenia injection, then they can dispense an oral version to use with or instead of the Pepcid. Otherwise, we may need to consider trying her with an alternative (ie Metoclopramide, Zofran, etc) that may just work better for her. As well, she may really benefit from an appetite stimulant (ie Mertazipine) to "push" her to eat for us. And I would note that if she doesn't have a known GI issue, she may be better on a calorie rich diet like Royal Canin Recovery, Hill's A/D, or even Clinicare liquid diet (which may be easier to feed or she may be willing to lap).

Overall, it sounds like you have ruled out a lot of sinister issues for Asha but that she is still too nauseous to eat for us. Therefore, we'd want to speak to her vet about alternative anti-nausea medications +/- appetite stimulants to settle that stomach and get her eating for us as quickly as possible.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Asha. How is everything going?
nekovet