Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

What can I do upset stomach. I think my dog ate to much of a

Customer Question

What can I do for a upset stomach. I think my dog ate to much of a rawhide bone. She has diarrhea and is eating grass to vomit.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now hopefully Jill chewed that rawhide up, since we can see blockages when they overindulge. Therefore, if you find that she has any belly pain, cannot keep anything down, goes offer her food or has paling gums; then we'd want to plan to have a check with her vet.

Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** to soothe this stomach, we can take a few steps to help her. To start, since her grass eating is telling us she is nauseous, you can try her with an antacid. Common OTC pet safe options would be Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if she has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Afterwards, once she is more settled, you can offset that diarrhea with an easily digestible diet (ie white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese,scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free)). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset and diarrhea.

Finally, just since we have loose stool, you can also try her with a pet safe anti-diarrheal. In regards ***** ***** options, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)).This is available OTC at most pharmacies and can actually soothe the stomach as well. Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, FastBalance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (all OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon)would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing her upset GI.

Overall, we do need to keep a close eye on Jill over the next few days. If she develops any of those other red flag signs, we'd want to have her see her vet. But if she doesn't and has just overindulged, then the above should get her back on track.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

** Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)