Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a 6 pound Camacho that are one dayquil liquid gel. I

Customer Question

Hi. I have a 6 pound Camacho that are one dayquil liquid gel. I gave her peroxide and she vomited a tiny amount of the orange colored med up. I also gave her two activated charcoal capsules. She seems ok but what do I need to watch for??
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome, I am Dr. B and would like to help.

How long ago did she have the dayquil?

Was there pseudoephedrine in the dayquil you have?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It was about 45 minutes ago.
Ingredients are acetaminophen 325 mg
Dextromathorphan hydro bromide 10 mg
Phenylephrine hydrochloride 5 mg
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Thank you,

In her situation the major worry here will be the acetaminophen. At this dose in a dog this small we could see GI upset, ulcers, diarrhea, and possible methemoglobinemia. The latter is a condition where they cannot get oxygen to their cells due to the drug binding red blood cells.

Now if it is only 45 minutes since she had this, we could induce vomiting again. We can do this up to three times.otherwise the activated charcoal is good but the dose you gave is too small. She needs at least 6 grams every 8 hours. So we'd give another four tablets just now to bind the dayquil.

Otherwise we need to keep a close eye for those other signs. If she doesn't show any in the next 24 hours, then will be out of the woods. But any sign of the above or if her gums turn from pink to brown then we'd want her seen urgently for fluids, oxygen, and symptomatic care.

Overall you have done well but we need to make the above adjustments to reduce her risk of harm from this.

Please take care,

Dr. B