Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

My dog stopped being verbal, no barking or groaning when

Customer Question

My dog stopped being verbal, no barking or groaning when she's happy. She's losing weight fast, shivers, and has a hard time keeping her balance. She tries to eat, but has a hard time. She drinks a lot. She's a 9 year old yellow lab
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 11 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am very sorry to hear about Millie. I am very concerned given the symptoms you are describing in your dog. When I hear symptoms such as you are describing, I worry about diabetes, kidney and liver disease. The only way to determine if any of these diseases are present would be to have bloodwork done on her.

Expert:  Jess K replied 11 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
If she has any of those would you suggest putting her down on her age?
Expert:  Jess K replied 11 months ago.

It really depends on which disease it house, how severe it is, and your situation. Diabetes is a disease that can be management with insulin injections, which owners can give at home, but it requires a commitment in terms of time (pet must get and injection twice a day) and money. Some dogs respond incredibly well, others are more difficult to manage but you won't know until you start treatment. I will attach an article here on the disease for you:http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=631

Liver and kidney disease may be more difficult because there may be irreversible damage done,but we really won't know how bad it looks without some testing. I think you need that information before you make any decisions.

Expert:  Jess K replied 11 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. If you do not, please take a moment to RATE our conversation, so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping to answer your question. Thank you and best of luck!