Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My shitzu is approximately 14 and has never turned down food

Customer Question

My shitzu is approximately 14 and has never turned down food until 2. Days ago. I had to go on disability and don't have any money to take her to vet she has blood in her urine and is having trouble breathing I am so scared, she got sick day before yesterday that yellow stuff, she was a rescue but I've had her 8yrs. She ate a little chicken yesterday but nothing today I don't no what to do. Please help her
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

I too am worried with you for her. We have several issues going on that I want to summarize to ensure I have them correct. She has blood in her urine, difficulty breathing and lack of appetite.

If she has a known heart murmur, then at her age your concern this could be related to congestive heart failure is very real and possibly correct. Usually we would also see some level of coughing. You should check her gum color which should be pink and not blue/ash/purple. This can sometimes give us a clue if there is a heart problem. However, if this is congestive heart failure, my heart breaks to tell you there is nothing non-prescription you can do at home. This is a medical emergency and she must be seen as soon as you could arrange this (can you apply for Care Credit which might allow you 6 to 18 months with 0% interest to pay off a bill?).

There also is nothing non-prescription you can do for blood in the urine. This may indicate a urinary tract infection or bladder stone or there are other possibilities but a bit of testing is necessary to determine the cause; there are no remedies at home other than encouraging her to drink to flush out her urinary system. You canNOT give any people products sold at pharmacies for urinary straining as they can be toxic to dogs, especially one as small as her.

I can make some at-home suggestions to help with her appetite, though. IF she was my patient and you could not get her in for the nausea/vomit I might recommend try the following:

1) Feed a bland diet: Try white rice and boiled chicken breasts (chopped) in about 3 meals per day.

2) Give famotidine 10mg at ½ tablet every 12 hours for nausea/vomit. You should be able to find this medication at any pharmacy over-the-counter. It has no bad side effects and does a great job to settle stomach acid and reduce nausea.

3) Probiotic supplementation: Start a probiotic such as one made for dogs (Proviable or Fortiflora) or you may use culturelle as made for people (1 capsule daily). Or if you cannot get any of those products then give 1 tsp of plain yogurt once daily.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

**If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.