Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

I had my dog checked on monday postpartum diarrhea, and the

Customer Question

I had my dog checked on monday for her postpartum diarrhea, and the vet checked her breasts and said no mastitis nor temperature and prescribed amoxicillin 200mg 2x day. Her breasts looked normal this morning but 8 hrs later I returned to hard swelling between #2 and #3 with #3 swollen to the point of inverted nipple which the pups cannot latch onto. Ive done some warm compress and put her in a warm bath and tried to express some milk. What else would you suggest? Can I wait til the morning to have her seen or take her to the expensive ER?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Dizz.

My answer is really based on how acute the onset of mammary gland swelling appeared. So, my worry is if this is going to get progressively worse over the course of the evening. I have to assume it may worsen, and that risks the litter being able to nurse at all. So, I have got to vote for the ER trip since there is little more that can be done at home.

I know that is not what you wanted to hear, but the ER trip is worth it. Doesn't have to be exceedingly expensive. Just get in for the exam and see what options they can present you.

Hope that information helps

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will any lab tests be accurate since I already have her on the antibiotic?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What can be done by the emergency vet?
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.

Well, not for whether there is infection or not. Although, if there is an exceedingly high white blood cell count, despite the antibiotic use, that would be important to know.

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hi Analee Mcdonald,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Dizz. How is everything going?