Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

My lab has contracted an ear infection--is there anything I

Customer Question

My lab has contracted an ear infection--is there anything I can do to help him now??
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 11 months ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** and I've been a veterinarian for 15 years. I'm sorry to hear about Gus's ear situation. What did you clean that left ear with?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I used some ear wax cleaner, very little. Q tip and wet face cloth.

Thanks for that information. Unfortunately with ear infections, there isn't a lot for an owner to do at home in lieu of having the proper ear cleaner and ear medications for the infection that is going. The best thing you can do is get him to his vet as soon as you possibly can. Until then, just letting him be in a a quiet, restful area and trying to make sure that no one is handling the ear should be done. Ear infections can be due to yeast, bacteria or a combination of the two. Your vet can prescribe a special ear cleaner to help remove the debris and then an actual medication to place into the ear after that to treat the actual infection and to give relief. I wouldn't place anything more in it at home as it most likely will get the ear more damp and this could help things progress.

Hi Lisa,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Gus. How is everything going?