Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My 10 year old lab is very lethargic and not acting right.

Customer Question

My 10 year old lab is very lethargic and not acting right. He moves slowly and gets up slow. No tender spots that I can find. Just lacks energy. He does have a few fatty knots under his skin that have come up over the past week. Could these be related?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am currently not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is he eating and drinking?

2- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?

3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

4- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1. He is eating and drinking but not as much as usual. Did not show interest even when our family was having dinner. (He normally wants food from the table)
2. None
3. No preexisting conditions. He's a very healthy and active dog.
4. All concerns are mentioned and all are new symptoms.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

1- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?

2- Can you take his rectal temperature?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
His gums are a pale pink.
I cannot take his temp.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, I am sorry for the delay in response. I had not seen that you had answered, I am sorry.

The symptoms of lethargy and decrease appetite are very non-specific symptoms and can be related to many different medical conditions that affect dogs. Possible causes could be anemia, infections, ingestion of a foreign body, neuromuscular like arthritis, etc. to name a few causes.
In this case to determine the exact underlying cause Herbie will need a hands on examination, blood work (chemistry profile & CBC), urinalysis and +/-xrays as initial screening test. Treatment will be based on clinical and diagnostic findings. I would recommend you do not wait 1 week to see the vet. If cost is a concern look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Herbie. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter