Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

All of a sudden our 5 yo Shepard mix lost control of her nd

Customer Question

All of a sudden our 5 yo Shepard mix lost control of her hind legs; her breathing changed and she started shaking. This lasted for few a minutes. We tried to reassure her and try to maintain eye contact.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 11 months ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am currently not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- Is she not able to stand on her back legs?

3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
1. She went to go check something out in the kitchen and it just happen, no warning. First time.
2. She was unable to stand; went down to the floor and unable to get back up on her legs.
3. No pre existing conditions

1- Is she able to walk now?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It lasted only a few minutes. It was almost like a seizure. Her breathing changed - don't know whether it was because she was scared she couldn't get back up. Tried to keep her calm and maintain eye contact with her. Once her breathing got back to normal, we let her try to get back up. She was able to, but her legs were shaking. And she's back to normal now.

Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, what you are describing is consistent with a seizure as you have suspected. It is common for the patient to loose the motor function of the extremities for a short period.

When a dog seizes there could be an underlying medical problem causing the seizure. Possible causes for seizures in dogs are: An under active thyroid (hypothyroidism), kidney or liver disease, hypoglycemia, brain tumors, idiopathic (unknown), etc. to name a few causes. One of the most common cause is idiopathic epilepsy, meaning we do not know why the brain behaves in such manner but we can control the seizures with medications (phenobarbital or/and potassium bromide).
In this case, I would highly recommend a check up with family veterinarian for a hands on examination and blood work as initial screening test to rule out the above mentioned diseases. If the seizure occurs more than once a month medication should be started to stop or prevent the seizures. Observe her tonight, if she seizes again have her checked by ER veterinarian otherwise follow up with family veterinarian.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter