Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

I have 15 year old pug who has inner ear vertigo / today he

Customer Question

Hello - I have 15 year old pug who has inner ear vertigo / today he is having trouble getting comfortable and keeps flexing/ stretching his neck in an upward position. He does have arthritis in his back curve of the spine. He eats normal and walk around like nothing is wrong. Just worried about his neck stretch/flex. He has been doing this all day long - he is on an antibiotic for the inner ear infection :) thanks
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that Bailey hasn't been feeling well here lately. I'll do my best to help.

It's definitely possible that Bailey is uncomfortable from the ear infection. I also worry with older dogs who have sudden vestibular symptoms (vertigo) and any other abnormalities that there might be cancer involved. This is especially true if Bailey is getting worse rather than better with the vertigo symptoms. It's hard for me to imagine exactly what this stretching that you're seeing looks like, but I'd consider discomfort as my top thought here. If Bailey seems in distress, it's certainly worth an emergency visit, but if he's resting comfortably otherwise it could be reasonable to wait until your vet who is currently treating him opens to discuss your concerns with them.

Please let me know what other questions I can answer for you.

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)