Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

I came home to find that my dogs ate a lot of rum that my

Customer Question

Hi, I came home to find that my dogs ate a lot of rum balls that my wife made a couple of days ago. One dog seems fine, the other has thrown up a couple of times and basically looks hammered. Right now she is just laying down outside away from the other 2 dogs. By the way, I tried one of the rum balls after she made them, and they were strong. What should I do/ look for?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr B replied 11 months ago.

Hi this is DRB and I would be happy to help you with this. This is technically a medical emergency and ideally your dog should go to the ER as death is a possible consequence of alcohol intoxication. The following clinical signs are possible:

Common signs to watch for: Drooling,Retching,Vomiting or attempting to vomit,

Distended stomach/bloat,Elevated heart rate,Weakness,Collapse,Hypotension (low blood pressure),coma,Hypothermia,Death

As you can see this runs the gamut. She should be taken to the ER and given IV fluids as supportive treatment and detox agents such as s-adenosyl-methionine. I hope this helps you but let me know if you have additional questions. Sincerely, DRB

Please hit rate my service as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you very much.

Expert:  Dr B replied 11 months ago.

Can I answer any other questions for you tonight?

Expert:  Dr B replied 11 months ago.

I check my computer each night and also will tomorrow am so let me know if you have additional questions. Sincerely, DRB