Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

We rescued a dog from the RSPCA at Lonsdale South Australia

Customer Question

We rescued a dog from the RSPCA at Lonsdale South Australia some 3 years ago and the whole family has become quite attached to it and it is part of the family .
It is a loving animal however over the past 4 months it is barking during the night so much so that we have all had sleepless nights and it is starting to wear us down including the neighbours .
We have taken it to the vet 3 times over this period and she has given us sedatives which we have given it and if we give him half it seems to work but we don't want to keep doing this because it is not fair on the dog . We have also purchased an adaptil collar & thunder jacket but neither works .
I do not want to have the dog put down as we all love it but we need to do something as it is telling on us as a family .
Can you please offer us some advice as we are desperate .
Thanks for your help .
Ray Walding
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 11 months ago.

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help with your question about Lucky.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 11 months ago.

I'm so sorry you're having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need. I completely understand how desperately you need some help.

You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.

So I may know we're properly connected and that you understand how the website works (including that I'll need to earn your good rating in order to receive any compensation for helping you), please type in a short response below. You may rest assured you'll have my full attention and will receive a complete response once I know you're there.
Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 11 months ago.

It appears you are not online and available to discuss your question about Lucky right now. I'm sorry I missed the opportunity to have a live conversation with you. I will OPT OUT now so your question will be available to other experts when you return online.

Thank you.

Expert:  Jess K replied 11 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. Can you give me a little more information about your dog? Is he barking in the middle of the night? Is he hearing noises or just randomly barking? Is he generally an anxious dog or is this the first time this issue like this has arisen? Is he having any other abnormal behaviors at home?

Expert:  Jess K replied 11 months ago.

Also, what prescriptions has your vet tried already?