Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

I have a miniature schnauzer and past two weeks he has had

Customer Question

I have a miniature schnauzer and for the past two weeks he has had episodes of crying and limping in circles with his head turned to the side. i contacted a vet and he said he was having mini strokes because he seems disoriented and bumping in to things. He is restless and can't seem to lay or sit down during these episodes. We've noticed that one of his legs will seem paralyzed in a bent position during this. This will last about 2 to 3 minutes and will be fine after we calm him down by stroking him very gently. I would appreciate any feedback.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 11 months ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** and I've been a veterinarian for 15 years. I'm sorry to hear about your little guy's situation. Has a veterinarian examined him or done any testing since these events have started? When these events aren't happening, is he acting / interacting normally?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
he's been seen but no testing so far, he seems to have lost his hearing and wants to be held quite a bit. He's not as playful since his other playmate passed away a year ago, also a schnauzer and his normal weight is 14 pounds.

How old is this guy? Did they see him acting in this strange way? Or when they evaluated him, was he acting more normal?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
He is 15 yrs old and no he wasn't behaving like this when seen.

Thank you for answering those questions. That can be frustrating when a pet doesn't do the "activity / behavior" that they were doing at home that they are being brought in for evaluation of. The best thing to help get around this is to video what they are doing at home and then bring the video / along with the pet into the clinic. Now a days with all the smart phones and video cameras out there, I have lots of owners bringing in videos of an abnormal behavior, walk, breathing, etc... for me to see it and to also evaluate the pet. It can greatly assist figuring out what is going on. If you can get this video and bring that to your vet, then they can see if they truly still feel that it is a mini stroke / seizure event. If he's having focal seizures with this frequency, then pursuing anti seizure medications may be warranted. At his age, the concern has to be high that if they are seizures, could there be a brain lesion like a tumor as a cause.

Hi Carmen,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?