Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

We have two dogs, Cody is a Puerto Rican Rescue14 inches

Customer Question

We have two dogs,
Cody is a Puerto Rican Rescue14 inches from his shoulder to the ground 32 pound About 10 =12 years old
bobby is a Papillion he is 10 inches from the ground and 17 pounds. They are fed twice aa day About 3 years old
We live in a small city in an apartment. How much time should we plan to have between walks
They are at daycare for about 6-8 hours a day 5 days a week We live in Salem, MA
Thanks... Phil Dana
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 11 months ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. Thanks for sending in your question :)

As long as they are both healthy and willing and able to hold their eliminations voluntarily, then 6-8 hours is about the maximum time I'd go. I know on tough days at work my own personal dogs have had long days of 8-9 hours. Going above that, I'm not angry at all if I find that one of them has eliminated in the house while I was away.

Being able to hold it and being willing to hold it are two separate conditions. If you do start to have any trouble with someone eliminating in the house when you're away, it'd be a good idea to have them vet checked to make sure there's not a medical reason. Some pets have a behavioral limit to which they won't go over in terms of how long they'll hold it. This is less predictable since it's not medically related. As pets age they tend to need to go outside more frequently, so you might find as the years go by that they need to be let out more frequently.

I'm glad that they're in a daycare for most times. This helps them stay socially focused and not get bored and develop bad habits - you are doing a great deed for them by not leaving them home alone all day every day!

What other questions can I handle for you?

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)