Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I rescue dogs and 3 of them started coughing last night, I

Customer Question

I rescue dogs and 3 of them started coughing last night, I think it may be kennel cough. Naturally, with so many dogs expenses are high. I can get injectable penicillin at the feed store. Can I treat them with penicillin for the cough?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

In regards ***** ***** question, Procaine Penicillin G injectable can be used in dogs to treat upper airway infections. When it is used as such, it can be dosed at a rate of 6,000 i.u. per Kg of body weight (0.5 mL/25 Kg) once daily given into the muscle or under the skin (refer to the bottle you have for the route) usually for 7-10 days. Of course, if we weren't to see improvement within 48 hours (which we can see in some cases), then those dogs would need a check with their vet +/- culture testing to determine what drugs this strain is sensitive to.

Otherwise, to just soothe those sore throats, you can also try some supportive care. To do so, you can try them with a mild cough suppressant like glycerin/honey cough syrup (with no drugs in it) or even plain honey. Both can be very soothing to the irritated and tickly throat. Typically we will give a 1-2 milliliter (~1/4-1/2 teaspoon) as needed. Alternatively, you can try Robitussin DM. I would just say to make sure to use this preparation and avoid any similar syrups that may contain other medications like Paracetamol, Acetaminophen, Pseudoephedrine,Phenylephrine or caffeine (since these can be toxic). If it also contains Guaifenesin that is okay. Dose-wise, we tend to give this as 1/2 (half) teaspoon per 10lbs of the dog's body weight every 8-12 hours. Again, these can reduce any possible irritation driving their cough. Furthermore, if they are fed a hard feed, then soaking his kibble or offering soft foods may also help reduce signs.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you. this is a relief since I have so many dogs and it costs 45 dollars per dog just to walk in the door. I can pick up a bottle of penicillin at feed store today plus cough syrup and treat them today
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome,

Usually in those situations, most vets should be flexible on consult charges (or potentially see them all as a "house visit"). So, you could have a word with them for the future. Otherwise, we can try the above care to see if we can get them settled.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

** Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns,please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I canto provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)