Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

When I got home from work my wife informed me that our 9

Customer Question

When I got home from work my wife informed me that our 9 year old male terrier mix, Wilby, had vomited three times. Obviously he did it right as she camd home, because as she went to grab cleaning materials, he ate it.
He seemed fine otherwise, so after a while we fed our dogs dinner, but just gave him rice. Again he seemed fine, and even walked outside and had a bowel movement. Not long after, he vomited up his rice from dinner. I left for a short while (less than an hour) and when I came home he was still acting normal. He was still drinking, but we thought that might not be a good idea, so we tried to limit his water. My wife tried to give him a little bit of rice, because he was very hungry, and he ate that. But, then he vomited that up not too long after eating it. Otherwise he was still acting normal. He went to bed with is, and we confined him to the room do we would know if he vomited. Evidently he did once. I stuck my fingers in the water dish, and he licked off the water, but then almost immediately presented that he was going to vomit. I took him outside, and he did. Mainly bile, but with what looked to be a very small amount of food.
He is now asleep, but occasionally wakes up licking. We were planning on taking him to our veterinarian first thing in the morning (7 am, not quite 5 hours from now) would that be okay, or does this raise some red flags that he might require immediate attention at an emergency room?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B,a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Can he keep any water down?

Are his gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could he have eaten anything he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
His gums are tacky, but I honestly can't tell if they are pale, because they are black.He did have some tenderness when I pushed on his belly, but not a lot.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
He was on prednisone recently, do I think we have got everything he could eat out of his teach, but I can't be 100% certain.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
This is not your fault at all, rather, problems with the website, but at this point I'm assuming I will just wait the three more hours and take him to our veterinarian. The only reason I contacted you was to see whether it was pressing enough that he needed immediate emergency care.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

I am actually composing my reply about Wilby just now.

So I will post momentarily

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for your patience,

First, in regard to your question about the urgent nature of this situation. If he can settle and rest without severe belly pain, continous vomiting, or paling mucus membranes (you can flip his eyelid down to check that if he is a pigmented dog); then we do not have an emergency situation and can monitor with a view to following up with his vet once they are open.

Of course, I am glad that you do plan to have Wilby checked once his vet is open. Especially with how severely nauseous he is just now and the fact that those gums are tacky (an early stage sign that dehydration is creeping in). This is because his situation is one that will likely require at least injectable anti-nausea treatment to bypass his mouth and break this nausea cycle for him.

With that in mind, if he is settled, we will just want to let him rest. Water can be offered but only as small sips or ice cubes. If he does appear more settled in a few hours since his last vomit, you could also consider trying him with an antacid (ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), etc). Though if he seems unsteady still, you can skip that and just have him treated by injection once his vet is open.

Further to this, since you noted feeding just rice, when you do restart a light diet for him we need to make some adjustments. The meals should be small (sometimes we event start with a spoonful) and we'd want to be also using a bland protein source for him (ie boiled chicken, boiled whitefish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk)). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’ssensitivity) as well.

Overall, we do need to tread with care since Wilby has severe nausea and this does raise some concerns (ie bacterial or viral infection, pancreatitis, ingestion of gut irritating or harmful items). But for the moment, if he can rest and not vomit while we withhold food and control water, then we can just monitor here. Of course, if any of those parameters I had you check change, then we may need him seen sooner. Though from all you have reported, we should be fine to monitor and have his regular vet check him once they are open.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you! :)

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you very much for your response. I have been letting him lick ice cubes, and he's enjoying that.Thank you again, and have a great day!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

You are very welcome,

I am glad to hear he is and again we should be fine until his vet opens.

All the best for Wilby,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you! :)

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

** Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns,please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I canto provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)